Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I dont mean to name drop but
(plink plink *the sound of names falling* )...

I've been putting in work lately! Saturday I went to UNCOVER, Howard's magazine group, Cover 2 Cover's, 3rd annual magazine conference and today I took a day trip to NYC where we went to the Conde Nast headquarters and met with some of the editors and fashion assistants from Women's Wear Daily (Kim Friday, Carter Love, and Court Williams) and got to peek into the wardrobe closet of W magazine. In the past week I've met some of the industry's TOPS and cant wait to be there with them. I've especially made great strides in networking with the publications that I would personally like to work for in the future. Teen magazines is where I would like to be, I know everyone wants that glamourous job at Vogue or InStyle but I believe the people who have the biggest voice are those who speak to the most impressionable reader, teenage girls. I remember how I read magazines like CosmoGirl! or Teen Vogue *shoot, I still read Teen Vogue* and read and soaked up everything like a sponge and now that I'm at the other end, or almost anyway, I'd like to be that voice behind the pages encouraging girls to be strong minded, independent, and thoughtful individuals. Susan Shultz, plink, the EIC of CosmoGirl! was impressed by my comparison and contrast between CG!, Teen Vogue, which is more Vogue than teen, and Seventeen. Unfortuanately, Vogue and Teen Vogue aren't housed in the same building as WWD and W, so I didn't get to see where I'd be working in just a few short years. It seems like the industry is very tight night and everyone knows everyone else and while staffers come from every walk of life, internships are the way to go. So my goal for the next few weeks is to contact the Washington Bureau of WWD and see what's crackin', while it's not fashion, it is editorial and I can do both.
Speaking of which, I've never really experienced someone down right lying on me...until now. A person who is supposed to be on my team, in "the fam", completely fabricated a story about how I got the position of Fashion Show Coordinator. According to her, Kevin, one of the PR Directors, wrote my proposal for Homecoming. This is funny for a few reasons...1. I'm a fucking journalist, sure I'm a fashion major, but I write each and every waking day- I don't need anyone to write anything for me. period. 2. I didn't even know Kevin let alone talk to him before last week when we were kounting down to Kimora. So now, I have to go to some bullshit meeting to just to make her look dumb and shut the fuck up...she's wack, so wack. Why make something up that's completely and whole heartedly untrue...it has no foundation for truth, not even logical, completely fabricated? Ugh. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come....all the while she still smiles in my face. Bitch.
Oh yea, I met the beauty editor and author, Accidental Diva, Tia Williams...how cool is she? I also encountered the managing editor of Heart & Soul, for someone who just got back into a stable job, you'd think she'd be friendlier. She was awful, she treated me like a sorority girl...only thing is, I didn't even want to be on her team?! arggghhh...if Angela Burt-Murray, EIC of Essence, can look me in the eye like a human being with ideas and things to say then why would Kiki No Name, from a floundering publication like Heart & Soul, be so cold to a student just trying to learn? I was especially turned off by her appearence...boo, you do not have wet and jet hair...let it go! As one of the only representatives of a black publication I didn't feel as if she represented herself nor her publication well at all. Hmmm...whatever.

Now Playing: Pieces of Me, Rare Essence

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yazz...i saw u for two seconds and i could feel the nostalgia brewing in my soul. i miss u girl. (sidenote:: oh and thats the fuckin L. what a fuckin thirst monger. such a triumph of the disfunctional female friendship...i hope u made her look xtRa stupid. anyway....you've now made it to top 3 status of the hardest working ppl i know. that speaks volumes and will def. pay off. im checkin for ya. ;)
--we should do lunch some time next week. <3

Anonymous said...

lol...don't play that ol' woman from Heart and Soul any mind. She was just as clueless and horribly dressed...I didn't even bother talking to her. just wanted to say hey ;-)

Anonymous said...

Random question--but are the WWD fashion editors you met men or women?