Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Randymethoughts on The ALMA Awards and Poorly Matched Roomates

So, I finally got rid of the predator (or so I believe) by simply blocking that ass on AIM. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Okay, on to The American Latino Media Arts Awards (ALMA) put on by The National Council of La Raza on ABC yesterday evening. The NCLR ALMA Awards honors outstanding Latino artistic achievement in television, film, and music and the enhancement of the Latino image in the entertainment industry.
First did anyone else watch the awards? They were pretty good and filled with lots of Latino Star Power.
It was very interesting how Jessica Simpson felt the need to go 5 shades darker just to "blend better" with the "hispanohablantes." Ms. Goldilocks looked more like a strawberry red head last night. I'm happy it went unnoticed to at least one person since ALMA Award Winner, Julia Reyes commented on the singer's orange palmming.
I also noticed that during the time block of the awards there were commericials totalamente en espanol. I felt as though I was watching Telemundo! Though I'm happy, they didn't go the stereotypical Mexican based, novelas, Sabado Gigante...Telemundo route. We need to see more hispanics on mainstream media. And you know how I feel about middle America. They need to be exposed to more than just white washed Wonder Bread award shows. The ALMA Awards is dedicated to celebrating the accomplishments of Latinos in media and did just that. I was also happy to see more hispanics on the commericals...I just wish they would do that more.
Why not show the diversity that America is today everyday? Shoot, all Blacks are getting on a regular basis on those darn Koolaide commercial which futher feeds into the Koolaide and cornbread stereotype that we already have. All they need is to be eating some watermelon and chicken and it'll be modern day coonery all over again.
By the way, where the Asians at? When are their award shoes to celebrate ANY of their accomplishments in America? If I was Asian, I'd be pissed. They are such a diverse people just like hispanics and like blacks as well, yet still have little to no media representation. Besides a few kung fu movies disguised by new names like Mulan (who is indeed fictional) they haven't been represented as more than today's version of ninja's (Jackie Chan), nerdy smart kids (that guy off of Sixteen Candles), or artsy prostitutes (Memoirs of a Geisha..which I loved by the way). It's just like when blacks were only given mamie roles or parts as servants. The same thing, different time, different people. Same shit, different toilet.

Okay, so room 812W is not working for me. She eats pork and loooooooves month old freezer burned finds ...anyone who knows me knows I depise the swine , I think it contaminates your body and my food (which why i have none in there), and I not so secretly threw most of the food in the freezer as I thought there might be maggots beginning to form. She plays a rowdy game of spoons or taboo with half of the known world at 2 am and the next wall over I'm having an intimate conversation with one friend, on the phone with my boo, or writing in my diary or my blog. She keeps her toothbrush and shower sponge for what looks like 3 years...me, well i keep mine for 3 months (I hear it's doctor recommended). All I can say is, I can't wait for Claire to come back to DC and save me.

Now Playing: Virgo- Nas

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if i was an asian, id be pissed too. sorry ur stuck w/ a crappy roomie. lol.