Thursday, June 29, 2006


...On Social Obligation

Well, many of you who know me know that one of my most long standing Facebook quotes is, "I don't have to do a damn thing but stay black and die!" It's Morgan Freeman from the movie, Lean on Me. While I love this quote, I've had to retire it because I don't truly agree with it. Not only do I have to stay "black" (for lack of a better description of my ethnicity) and die, but it is my personal obligation to give back and feed into youth what was imparted in me. "Community Service" is invaluable and a priceless experience, not only do the people being 'serviced' receive something but the people serving the community gain life long knowledge about the real issues that this world faces.
This past week I've been working with some of the most intelligent, driven, and wittiest young ladies I've ever met. I was a team leader for Equipo Azul al Encuentro de Chicas Latinas de Girl Scouts. At this 3 day latina youth leadership conference I was able to meet and be inspired by the young ladies I worked with. Most of them are first generation American citizens, if not immigrants themselves. While the girls at the conference already had some sense of leadership but could not see past high school. Latinas have the highest teen pregnancy rate and high school drop out rates as well. As the largest minority in America today, it's important that they become well adjusted citizens to help make a better America and it's our duty (college educated people ...of any color I suppose, though latinos and blacks should be the first in line to volunteer) to ensure this new generation of latinos see past the statistics.
While I was speaking to my two of my group members, Noemi and Elisa, about the opportunities and advantages for teens in the Girl Scouting program, I got embarassingly choked up inside about how important it is to give your time to those younger than you. I know this sounds corny, but I saw the inspiration in their eyes and how empowered they felt knowing que es la verdad "SI, SE PUEDE" ...yes, it can be done...whatever you want to do...it can be done. Now, the girls who I thought I was helping, now have me hooked because they're really the cool kids. I've already emailed them all...friended them on MySpace and Facebook.
This is very extreme, but apart of me whats to leave everything behind when I graduate and give myself to the world's causes. Go to countries in the Carribean and Latin America and go and inspire, spread the word that you can truly do anything that you desire to do in this world.
Yes, I love fashion but I love people even more. Giving the gift of hope and inspiration is something that I truly feel convicted about and that's something that I'll be doing for my entire life...no matter where I am.
There is so much I want to do in my life and in so little time.
1. Graduate from college
2. Globetrot
3. Have a successful career in the magazine industry
4. Own my own boutique by 30
5. Get married (also by 30)
6. Have children
7. Make a difference in the live of the world's teen girls, therefore save the world
Now Playing: That's how Strong My Love Is, Otis Redding

No comments: