Thursday, May 04, 2006


The Industry

I've never seen so many botoxed babes, see through dresses on asian mail order brides, or hard as steel silicon breasts. Tonight I worked The Collections at Chevy Chase's Grand Opening in association with Capitol File luxury magazine. (THANKS ALEX!) I worked directely under a guy named Anton (an-ten) Papich (pah-peach) who had a really interesting short gray hairstyle that was all combed up to the middle of his head and a lady by the name of Paschal (pas-scale) who looked like she's learned how to do her eye makeup at clown school and use crayons and paint instead of eye shadow and mascara. The models ranged from overgrown high school girls to an Alek Wek wanna-be to a breathtaking mommy/model. Though I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off from Jimmy Choo to Ralph Lauren, at this event I truly felt at home, confident, and like I knew what the hell I was doing. Even in my simple black BCBG fit that I've had for God knows how long, I felt confident and like I belonged. I saw so many characters...the funniest though was one girlish guy (yes, a girlish guy) who had on fitted bootcut designer denim, pointed toe boots (with a stilleto if I'm not mistaken), an oversized Cross Colors inspired cardigan with a white leather cinching his ultra slim waste. To top it off his naturally curly coif was smoothed back and secured with a tie back white head band and his baby hairs was perfectly laying around his edges. Plus he had on white framed, dark lensed, SUNglasses on (it was night time)...one, I HATE WHITE FRAMES...they're cheesy - I don't care who they are on , they always look corny and sunglasses inside and at night either means 1. you're blind 2. you're high or 3.you're an ass that's waaay too into yourself! While I have friends that participate in this distasteful practice ( I know one girl who won't even take her glasses off in class ), I always always always advise against it! One of the girls I worked with, Sarai, was an Iranian born Swedish girl. Though very petite and meek looking she had very strong opinions, was a jealous little something, and could swing those drinks back like a 22 year old white boy. She had come to The States for a few months (how very Euro) to visit her cousin, she'd been an au pair to a 9 year old "deamon spawn" in France, and lived in London for a few months. Ultra cool...
While at this event I really tried to practice looking people in their eyes. I know that sounds weird but someone once told me that I didn't do it, while I was never conscious of it and couldn't tell you why I did it -I don't want anyone to think that I don't think that I'm the shit! I realized it's kind of hard to look every single person in their eyes, there's so many distractions ...the surroundings, thoughts (especially embarassing ones), and maybe something about the other person could make it hard to look them in their eyes. It seems so intrusive, invasive, it's like personal space...hmm. Well, that's all I guess.

Now Playing: Steppin' Out- Kaskade

3 comments:

Truc Minh Vo said...

Yasmine,
You show great ability to really comprehend your environment/situation. I admire your drive and look to grow with you in the years ahead of us. You show great proficiency in self-analysis and I'm glad I know you. You're writing style is captivating (even though its not an 'article'...who cares?) It's the first time I've read a blog and I'm happy I got to get another piece of the wonderful creation that you are...I'm beefing u up waaay too much but its real talk. (I really like the comment about the eyes.)

Charreah said...

I know you not going to just leave us hanging like that! But I guess that's how you keep us coming back.

We have to talk (read gossip) anyway, and it ends with someone going to fat camp.
Seriously though, the SUDAN GENOCIDE post just shows how much is going on underneath all the flyness!!!

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»