Thursday, January 15, 2009

Playing House


Is it just me? Or are there a TON of people shacking up these days? I guess Diddy and Kim Porter made it cool somehow but there are more unmarried young couples living together now more than ever. Is it because of the downturned economy? Would partners rather just live together and split expenses? Are people testing the waters before marriage? 
Maybe I'm just old school but I've never seen so many women (and men) just pick up their lives and relocate them to live with someone with no talks of marriage even in sight a lot of the time. Each time I hear of a new case of playing house I instinctively ask, "what does your mother think?". Just as I initially suspected, most aren't thrilled in the least bit.  
Don't get me wrong, I understand how your partner can spend days on end at your place or vice versa and it seems like it's a pretty economical and smart idea. Even during my summer days in New York I shared my living space with a significant other though I soothed my conscience by telling myself it was only for a temporary time until he got his own apartment (which was true) and then that he would only come on the weekend (also true). Since I have seen a tiny bit of what it feels like to live with your love so I can see the perks and the pitfalls. Perks- someone to help with bills, someone to hold at night (I think it ends there). Pitfalls- someone invading your limited closet space, socks, cups, shoes... EVERYWHERE, someone taking the cover. Yea, not as sexy as I imagined it. And from what I've seen of other people's attempts at playing house things can get really sticky from people feeling suffocated, domestic violence, to identity theft. It can get ugly! I think I'll just wait until I'm married to enjoy (and suffer) living with my man!

Now Playing: Rain- Dear Jayne ft. J. Holiday

4 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

just a sign of maturation folk. just have faith folk.

Nice spot u have here, hope u don’t mind the drive by, do chk me out one day

rawdawgbuffalo and if u like what u read, maybe u will come back, even Blog Roll Me

SexyShae said...

Personally I don't like it! Called me old school, traditonal, conservative, WHATEVA! but there's no way im gonna live with a Nigga who's "not ready for Marriage"(as they would say) but when they come home they still want dinner, house to be clean, and pussy!!!???!! sounds like marriage 2 me! Its just another way they can get what ever they want and then at the end of the day they can leave you and be like we were just dating! I've seen way 2 many ppl go down the drain after living together especially when it comes unclaimed bills and who gets what when its time 2 split! So again I'm GOOD ON THAT! "if u like it shoulda put a ring on it"- beyonce. And if not stay yo ass at home!!! lol

SouLBoutiQue said...

I agree 100%. And because of my background it is not even gonna happened! It is deeply frowned upon. And one common equation of cohabitation = break up + unexpected child. I can understand extended visits but i will not LIVE with a man until i have a signed contract. I.e. Marriage.

AG

Eb the Celeb said...

If men are getting everything they want from their woman without ever popping the question than I doubt they ever will. We as women have to stand our ground and set some standards instead of being content that we have a man lying next to us every night.