Thursday, July 06, 2006



My Thoughts of Late on The State of Desperation Common to All Women, Economy Flying, Beautiful Roomates, and Profiling in Retail

Anyone who was around me the week prior to the Fourth of July knows how much I was raving about taking a spare of the moment trip to Chicago. Well, I took that trip and had fun (though I don't see what all the hype is about when it comes to The Taste or why in the world Chicago is sooooo spread out and gigantic!) While in the Go I heard the same 3 songs in rotation on the radio..."Red Alert" by Ciara, "Unfaithful" by Rihanna, and "Doing Too Much" by a new chick named Paula Deanda. The last track stuck with me the most. Here are a few of the lyrics, in case you're not familiar..."im leaving messages and voicemails telling you i miss you baby am i doin too much why you tryin to dis me when i just wanna kiss you baby am i doin too much tell me whats the issue who i give theses lips to baby am i doin too much this is turnin into somethin i aint hip to baby am i doin too much see you got me all alone waitin right here by the phone for you to call me."
After a few listens, I decided this chick was completely desperate and that the song sounded almost as lonely and despondent as the Charlie Wilson song, "Hey girl, How you doin'My name is Charlie, last name Wilson I was wonderin' if I could take you outShow you a good time, invite you to my houseHere is my number, girl you can call meAnd don't forget it baby, the name is Charlie.."
Don't they both kinda' sound sorry to you?
Anyway...after the first 1trillion times of hearing the Paula Deanda tune I realized why it was so damn popular. We all (we as in women) can relate to her despairing sentiments! While most won't admit, every woman has had her "nose wide open" for some man and for better or worse every woman has "done too much" for a guy. We've all had that one guy who we had to (some couldn't and still can't) resist calling almost everytime he popped up in our mind (which was about every 5.98 seconds), we were on a never ending, always continuing IM conversation or nonstop chirping on the Nextel, "why didn't you come through...I want to see you...where are you...i miss you" etc. It's embarassing, yes, but everyone's been there and that's why Paula is getting PAID off of her desperation.
On to other topics...I HATE ECONOMY AIRLINE ACCOMODATIONS! UGH... All 723.67 miles from Chicago to Washington, DC I flew with a 250 lb. man on my lap. When I think about it I get annoyed all over again. He wanted his seat back and I wanted my legs crossed. We couldn't have both comfortably. It's a shame and scandal! I found my self purposefully kneeing his back hoping that he'd get the not so subtle hint and adjust his seatback unfortunately I had no such luck. I can't wait to be paid so I can fly 1st class on ALL flights and not just the ones I just happen to get because the 1st class seats are the only ones open when I use my BuddyPass.
In other news...I got a new roomate today. She's really nice and I'm releived she seems normal. I'm glad she puts on make-up and goes out and has a life. What I'm not so glad about is she got the big room before I could stake my claim and she's cute so now I'm not as laisidasical about bringing my men friends around. Before I never feared that one of my suitors would find my suitemate more attractive now...well, I'm not worried but it is something to think about.
So, I started my new job today. It was great, easy going, saleable merchandise (nothing worse than working at a store that has nothing worth saleing -sp?), I only had a problem with one thing. ME. Let me know, does this sound bad? When seemingly "ghetto" women come into the boutique I get on guard, nervous that they may try and steal. While I don't outwardly treat them differently, in my mind I'm going over ways to call them out on trying to take merchandise without paying for it..."Excuse me ma'am...did you pay for that?" I feel horrible because I know it's profiling but unfortunately sometimes the stereotype is true. At my first retail job, I was required to watch a tape on theft and the different ways people can try and steal. Unfortunately, in the store I worked at, in real life most of those people had black faces and were lower on the socioeconomic ladder. I know it's wrong to profile, and I definitely try not to but it's hard to control your mind...luckily, I'm always in control of my actions and I understand that having morals has nothing to do with your tax bracket.

Now Playing: No More, Letoya Luckett

No comments: