Monday, July 24, 2006


My Unamicable Divorce
I just got out of an abusive relationship.
Now before you get your panties in a knot and call up the gossip columns let me explain.
I was in an abusive business relationship. I'm the coordinator of this event (some of you may know...and that's fine but for those who don't it really doesn't matter too much) and I was doing business with this man. He was supposed to bring alot to the table, quality, high end, professionalism...a touch of class but really what he ended up bringing before any contracts were signed was drama, threats, and lots of stress on my part. It was crazy- at night I would think about how I was going to fulfill his requests...how I was going to make the situation right. Then one day he seriously threatened me and I was like "hold up...I DO NOT have to take this SH!T, I have people lining up at my door trying to work with me...why am I pressed for this man...I seriously can't even Google his name. There has GOT to be a better way!" And there was a better way...the contract I was working for his services (complimentary drama and stress included) I'm getting with someone whose name I can actually Google. I feel so relieved and free from the situation, like a burden has been lifted. When I look back it really was like an abusive relationship. People warned me, but the shine of everything he promised was so enticing I decided to play with the fire. So when I got burned I felt obligated to continue. When he pulled a pyscho move, he made up for it with very sensible remarks. I was truly caught up in a web. But now I know better, I'm the big boss and I call the shots. I hired (and fired) him!
This man claims he can provide all these things and that he's so this and that but truthfully if he were who he said he were he wouldn't have been so pressed about doing my "little college show".

The Set Up: (The Turn Around is Classic and Flawlessy Executed)
On 7/17/06, selectnewyork wrote:
I need to know an update and now because my Make up, Hair Team and Stylist is awaiting a response because I place everything on whole until I received a deposit and contract and I guess this is not going to happen any time soon and I don't have any more time to deal with this HU ******. So this is it, deposit and contract within one week from today or you can remove my name and teams from assisting with this event and I will speak with corporate and let them know of my decision and why they should not work on this project and any other projects in the future.


Remember I spoke to you about why I stop doing show because of too many delays and drama... And for what $**** and stress not equal.

Good Luck!
From: yasmine
To: selectnewyork
Sent: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:34 PM
Subject: Re:
Okay. That is fine Mr. Moore. We will no longer be needing your services. The drama that you speak of comes from within, I think it's best we part ways now because your attitude is simply baffling, though I cannot say I was not forewarned by my predeccesors. Thank you for your time but I cannot work with constant threats and unreasonable time constraints. You are not the only person with whom I can work with, I now have the same services with much better working relations.
So thanks for your interest but from all of the horror stories and your threats, I see now I will not want to deal with this all the way until October.I thought working with alum and professional minorities would be worth it but I see now its not.

Now a professional probably wouldn't respond to this. I was blunt and to the point. I was fed up and really gave it to him. He claims to be doing all these shows in DR, Paris, Milan, etc he was worried about little ole' me and had to have the last word.

On 7/20/06, selectnewyork wrote:
First of all, I wasn't threatening you about doing *****the rest of the email was blah blah blah ...yada yada yada

Anyway in closing this email does not require nor needs a response.
Gregory Moore
Select New York

I will also forward this email over to the HU Homecoming Director and President of HU. Along with all of our email and the promises you made but didn't keep and using HU name and not respecting the Conduct Code as a student.

Maybe he's the novice here. Does he not understand the art of negotiating? Did not understand that he made a HUGE mistake of showing his ass a few times too many before there were any legalities involved? Needless to say I told the man, "That's fine. Do what you feel deem necessary but we won't be needing your services. Thanks"

Clearly he didn't appreciate that and decided to waste more space in my gmail with a appallingly unprofessional response. How pressed is he? I'm just glad it's over. I learned alot with this experience.
1. Know who has the power
2. Take heed to the advice of others
3. Pay attention to the red flags early on
4. Don't be afraid to cut all ties
5. Never argue with a fool


Now Playing: Crazeology Miles Davis

2 comments:

Charreah said...

hey, what did the last email say? im hooked and eating popcorn reading this. Cant wait till October!!!!!!!!

Anonymously, Me. said...

i'll send you the unedited version